After taking a close look at Simon Jessey’s fixed sidebars and Eric Bednarz’s position:fixed; fixed for IE5(+)/win I created an example layout with a fixed size header, fixed size footer, and a content area that stretches to fill the space between the header and footer, with scrollbars if needed. And the whole thing is horizontally centered on the page. On the CSS Frames demo page I’ll write a bit about how it works later.
The demo validates and has been tested in the following browsers:
- Mozilla 1.4/Mac
- Mozilla Firebird 0.61/Win
- Safari 1.0/Mac
- IE5.2/Mac OS X
- OmniWeb 4.5/Mac
- Opera 7.11/Win
It probably does not work in older versions of IE/Win.
Subscribe / follow
- UI Designer at charity: water (New York City, Ne, US)
- Project/Product Manager – H+K Digital at Hill+Knowlton Strategies (Dallas, TX, US)
- Creative Director at Ai (Alexander Interactive) (New York, NY, Ne, US)
- User Interface Designer for Crimson at The Advisory Board Company - Crimson (Austin, TX, Te, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost