Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance (Book review)
Since accessibility is something every Web professional needs to be familiar with, it’s excellent to have one more book on the subject to refer people to. And this is not just another book on the subject - Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance is, despite the awkward title, an excellent and very well-written book that explains the various aspects of Web accessibility.
The book is based on Constructing Accessible Websites, which was published in 2002. That’s four years ago. In the fields of design, development, and accessibility for the Web, that is a very long time, which is also reflected in the book. It explains modern and up-to-date accessibility tools, techniques, and technology, as well as other aspects such as laws and regulations in various parts of the world, and how content published in formats such as Flash and PDF can be made as accessible as possible.
Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance is divided into three parts: The impact of Web accessibility, Implementing accessible websites, and Accessibility law and policy.
Part 1: The impact of Web accessibility clarifies what accessibility is, debunks some common myths about Web accessibility, and explains the business benefits of having an accessible website. There is also an overview of accessibility laws and guidelines and a chapter on setting up an accessibility organisation in an enterprise.
Part 3: Accessibility law and policy provides an in-depth look at accessibility laws and policies in the U.S., and briefly touches upon similar laws, regulations, and guidelines in the rest of the world.
When I started reading this book, which consists of 650 pages, I was a little worried that it would be too much for me to get through in a reasonable time. I was worried for no reason - the book is written in a clear and easy-to-understand language that makes it very hard to put down.
This is a must-have, even if you already have a good grasp on Web accessibility.
- Details for Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance
- Authors: Jim Thatcher, Michael R. Burks, Christian Heilmann, Shawn Lawton Henry, Andrew Kirkpatrick, Patrick H. Lauke, Bruce Lawson, Bob Regan, Richard Rutter, Mark Urban, Cunthia D. Waddell
- ISBN: 1590596382
Subscribe / follow
- Frontend Developer at Momentum Design Lab (San Francisco, CA, US)
- Project/Product Manager – H+K Digital at Hill+Knowlton Strategies (Dallas, TX, US)
- Web Project Manager at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, Ca, US)
- User Experience Architect for Crimson at The Advisory Board Company - Crimson (Austin, TX, Te, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost