Building better HTML forms
10 Tips To A Better Form by Chris Campbell is a good article with many useful tips for increasing the usability of web based forms. I have some reservations about a few of the tips though:
- 1. Markup: Be very careful when using the accesskey and tabindex attributes. The source order of the form controls should make sense, thus making tabindex irrelevant, and using accesskey is problematic since there is no easy way for the user to know about the shortcut keys and they may interfere with browser or operating system shortcuts.
- 3. AutoTab: I recommend thinking hard about when to use an AutoTab feature. In most cases users will not be expecting the cursor to automatically jump to another input field.
Subscribe / follow
- Senior Developer at Magnani Caruso Dutton (Chicago, IL, Il, US)
- Front-End Developer - Help Us Revolutionize Enterprise IT at MarkITx (Chicago, IL, Il, US)
- UI Designer at Artletic (Denver, CO or USA, Co, US)
- Front End Designer & Developer at Mission Data (Anywhere in the US with travel to Louisville, KY and Washington DC, Il, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost