Line length and readability
We’ve always been told that lines of text should not be longer than 55 - 65 characters or thereabouts. Well, guess what – longer lines may not be that bad for on-screen readability after all:
- The Effects of Line Length on Reading Online News, a study published at Usability News, shows that line lengths of 95 characters per line result in higher reading speed.
- The paper How physical text layout affects reading from screen points in the same direction. Joe Clark has posted some comments on the study in Line lengths when reading from a screen.
Subscribe / follow
- Senior Java Developer at Ceiba Solutions (Milwaukee, Chicago, Seattle, Boston - Work from Home, Wi, US)
- (re)define our guts: FarmersWeb seeking Lead Web Engineer at FarmersWeb, LLC (New York, NY, Ne, US)
- UX/Creative Media Designer at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) (Las Vegas, NV, Ne, US)
- Front-end Developer at Bad Assembly (Los Angeles, CA, Ca, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost