Open Source CMS recommendations wanted
Back in April, I posted Content Management System needed, asking for advice on which CMS to recommend for a client. The client eventually chose to use EPiServer, an ASP.NET-based CMS that is used by many public sector websites in Sweden.
Now I need your advice again, this time for a different client. This client wants an open source CMS, so no $100k commercial packages please ;-). They are not interested in using anything based on Microsoft technology either, so any solutions that require ASP, ASP.NET or IIS, or depend on IE/Win to enter content are ruled out.
Other requirements include:
- fully web standards-compatible
- Any WYSIWYG component used must create fully valid, semantic and accessible XHTML
- URL:s must be search engine friendly
- easy to install
- well documented
- fairly large installed base
The site will consist of several hundred pages and have several editors/writers, whose HTML skills vary from novice to advanced.
I’ve looked at what’s available, and two systems are looking pretty interesting: Plone and Mambo. I’m looking for feedback from anyone who has worked with either of those. I’m a little concerned about Plone being based on Python, which nobody on our team has ever used. How much of a problem would that be? If you have recommendations on other systems, I’m interested in hearing from you.
Anyone want to recommend something else?
Update: After checking the recommendations posted here, and talking to the client, it’s almost certain that we will use Plone. The client is hosting the site on their own server, so there won’t be any problems related to shared hosting. They also have some in-house knowledge of Plone. So, right now I’m reading “The Plone Book” and “The Definitive Guide to Plone”… Installing it was very easy on my Mac OS X machine, so I have it up and running. I’ll be installing it on a Windows dev server in a while.
Some of the other systems mentioned in the comments look interesting as well. Thanks for your input!
Subscribe / follow
- Ruby on Rails Developer at BeQuick Software (Palm Beach Gardens, FL; Nashville, TN; Anywhere, USA, Fl, US)
- Sr. Python Engineer @ Brilliant at The Sourcery (Palo Alto, CA, US)
- Full Stack Engineer (Mid-Level) at Canvas (New York, NY, Ne, US)
- Web Application Developer (Wordpress/PHP) at Athletics (Brooklyn, NY, Ne, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost