Very Weird Web
Have you ever used
<applet> to put ”active” content on a web page? Probably. That’s going to change though. You will need to make some changes in order to accomodate the changes Microsoft are making to IE for Windows.
Personally I don’t really care. I hardly ever embed any “rich content” into web pages these days. That was in the 1990s, when the web was going to replace television.
For those who need it, there is plenty of information available on how to re-code existing web pages:
- Apple: Creating the Best User Experience for Active Web Content
- Apple: Authoring Websites for Compatibility with Internet Explorer for Windows FAQ
- Apple: Preparing Websites with Active Content for Upcoming Changes to Internet Explorer for Windows
- Macromedia: Active Content Developer Center
- RealNetworks: Internet Explorer Changes
- Microsoft: Changes to the Default Handling of ActiveX Controls by Internet Explorer
Obviously something like this will be written about on plenty of sites. In case you’re interested, here are a few links: