<abbr> or <acronym>?
Lars Holst has written a very thorough essay on the why, how and when of
<acronym>. Abbreviations, Acronyms, Initialisms ends with the following conclusions:
To ensure proper markup of abbreviations in hypertext documents, follow these guidelines:
- Understand the difference between abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms.
- Use the
<acronym>element for acronyms only.
- Use the
<abbr>element for initialisms, or when in doubt.
These guidelines should be used in conjunction with proper visual and aural styling with CSS.
Subscribe / follow
- Digital Marketing Manager at Commercial Capital Training Group Marketing (Albany, NY, Ne, US)
- Senior Java Developer at Ceiba Solutions (Milwaukee, Chicago, Seattle, Boston - Work from Home, Wi, US)
- Junior Graphic Designer at XO Group Inc. (New York City, New York, Ne, US)
- Software Engineer at Avant Credit (Chicago, IL, Il, US)
DreamHost web hosting
Use the promo code 456BEREASTREET3 to save USD 20 when you sign up for DreamHost